My partner lives overseas and I want them to come live with me in New Zealand. Can I support their visa application?

It depends on what evidence you can show that you have been living together in a genuine and stable relationship.  You may be able to successfully support them for a visa, but the time you have spent actually living together, and what efforts you have made to be together during your separation, are critical factors.  The time living together also affects the duration of any visa that your partner gets.  Partner temporary visas (Work, Visitor or Student) are available for a total of up to 24 months.

In order to apply for a Residence Visa, you and your partner have to prove that you have been living together for at least 12 months before they apply.

If you have never met your partner in person, other than online, generally there are not great prospects of obtaining a visa unless you are able and willing to spend sufficient time to develop a relationship outside New Zealand.